A more distributed format for SoMBu?

Hey Membership Circle & Ted!

I was realizing, currently in order to make Member Announcements, we use emails, and lots of things need to be editing and all sorts of stuff…

But… what if we just said that the way to announce things to members is via a SoMBu SoFA Members discussion that all members are subscribed to via email?

Then anyone could simply post their messages! They could still have a moderation queue…
There are a few things to figure out, but this could dramatically reduce the work involve din editing and also make announcements more timely… as well as allow for discussion and having a fixed place to view past announcements!

It seems like a pretty elegant solution! Curious what you all think of this idea…

@TedRau Andy.Grant @jerry.koch-gonzalez @nora.plaza @pcarmona @sofie.malm-3492

Ultimately, I think it’s good to create “channels” that people can subscribe to. It’s all about predicting who needs to hear how much detail on what…
So, yes, I like the direction you’re going in there.

I’m open to this direction. You mentioned moderation. Any thoughts about who would hold that, what domain? Also wondering about quality assurance — accurate and clear information sharing. That to me is the upside of editing content. A downside is a delay, as you suggest.

Would this aid language localization? If so, how would it work?

(@cj.oreilly Is the an internal SoFA-only conversation or viewable to the world? I can’t tell by looking at it.)

(@cj.oreilly Is the an internal SoFA-only conversation or viewable to the world? I can’t tell by looking at it.)

It’s not in the “Private Discussion” sub category, therefore is visible but not postable to non-SoFA Members like the rest of the content in the SoFA Members Discussion category as described in the about post.

The SoFA Member IT Support forum would be a good place to ask various questions about how to use the forums. Alex is helping make visual how-to documents to support people in knowing where to look for things.

I’m open to this direction. You mentioned moderation. Any thoughts about who would hold that, what domain? Also wondering about quality assurance — accurate and clear information sharing. That to me is the upside of editing content. A downside is a delay, as you suggest.

It’s possible to create Categories with moderation review before posting, so that would be an easy way to do it.

It could simply have an editing moderator to review posts from circles.

Would this aid language localization? If so, how would it work?

The forums have a built in translation tool: How to use the SoFA Forums translation tool - #2 by Andrew.Grant

So while it would be machine translation, it would be pretty low work and people could post in any language.

Okay, I tried the translation tool and I like it. What next?

Perhaps it would go on the Membership Circle Backlog? Is that the domain for SomBu @TedRau or?

Absolutely in Membership Circle I’d say.