Community of Practice for Facilitators - Forum Category?

Community of Practice for Facilitators - Forum Category?

Sociocracy is like a microcosm

Could we use sociocracy to build a galaxy?

I guess so, if we give more attention to education and … if we train ourselves systematically.

I am a trainer and a consultant myself, not in sociocracy yet, but in personal and systems optimization.

As a trainer I help people understand the basic principles of optimization and I assist my students to find the component parts.

Then it’s their job to complete that personal puzzle and use it to go forward.

Some years ago I was amazed to discover that there is no final destination. Everything is temporary, here or elsewhere.

Wherever we are and wherever we will be, there will always be a continuation because there are always new expectations.

Coming back to sociocracy, I appreciate SoFA’s holistic approach through an “ecosystem”. I think we could add a few other “dimensions” to what have already been done, for example a political circle to explore and prepare ourselves to influence the political environment. Let’s bring it on the table as well, because it influences our daily lives.

Well, all the sociocratic activities take place in circles and a circle needs at least four operational roles: a leader (coordinator), a delegate, a secretary (scribe) and … something to facilitate working together. Yes, I mean a facilitator.

All roles are important, but how could we have a meeting where every voice counts in the absence of a facilitator?

In the absence of a scribe we won’t remember properly, in the absence of a leader, we won’t be able to keep direction, in the absence of a delegate, we won’t connect enough with the parent circle, but how could we move on in the absence of a facilitator?

The facilitator is the same as a gearbox that facilitates the transmission of engine power to the wheels, so that the car can move. Without a facilitator, even if we have an engine, even if we have gasoline and even if we have wheels, the car will not move and we don’t want that, do we?

We like the job to be well done and the mission to be fulfilled. That’s why we always need a good facilitator.

These are some of my personal reflections. Perhaps I will come back to share other thoughts, if there is an interest on the topic.

I propose to use the discussion forum and make a dedicated category in the “Communities of Practice” section. We could name it “Community of Practice for Facilitators” or however people would like to name it.

Let’s help facilitators share their experiences and improve their skills by training, through continuous education. What do you think?

Your friend,
because I care

p.s. We really need facilitators to build a galaxy through sociocracy

2 Likes

I have created a new sub-category for this: Community of Practice for Facilitators - Sociocracy For All. I do want to say that I am feeling hesitant about the number of sub-categories here. I’ve been advocating for more use of tags instead of categories for organizing topics on our forum. If you’re interested, the group that develops the software for our forum has some interesting thoughts on the use of tags over categories. The short version is that tags are more fluid, and using categories leads to situations like what we have now, where there are a lot of possible CoPs that could exist, and we may not want the full list to take up as much space (and require as much maintenance intervention) as it does currently. So I’m curious about your thoughts on this!

1 Like

John, I think you and the team know better how to organize the forum by categories or by tags. I suggest to be an equivalence between all categories. If necessary, let’s have only the main categories and all other sections be accessible by tags, I mean let’s have the same rule for everybody. I suppose there should be respected the equivalence in the visibility of different communities and so on. Of course this is just a feedback for me to take into consideration before making a decision. We could use tags instead of sections for everybody involved in the forum and to make a space where to suggest the available tags people could search for. Thank you for all that already have been done and for all the work you are doing together. The results are amazing. I really love the discussion forum. Best regards,
Your friend
because I care

2 Likes