Dear Advocates, so many words

Thanks for your note, Red.
Here’s what some Advocates have to say:

• The facilitator could start the meeting by reminding people that everyone will be using rounds and talking in turn. It could also help if the facilitator sets a range at the start of a round, ”We each have a minute” or “Let’s each share a couple sentences.”

• I like that, the facilitator reminding everyone that a “quick reaction” is 5 sentences or less. Then, if someone goes on too long, the facilitator can give a signal.

• You say they are a new member. How familiar are they with sociocracy? Do they know why we use rounds? More information and training might help.

• One of the facilitator’s jobs is ensuring all voices are heard. That can include encouraging us to broaden our acceptance of other people’s communication styles. At the same time, the facilitator is tasked with running an efficient and effective meeting… So, what about bringing that to the group: “We have 10 minutes set aside for this topic and that means each of our comments will need to be about a minute. Can I get agreement on that?” And you can put the issue (balancing expression with time needs) on the next meeting’s agenda.

• Someone who likes to tell stories? You’re lucky! How can this community member put that interest to use? Would they take on a storytelling role for the sake of community outreach or membership development? Would they contribute to the newsletter or start a community blog? The idea here is finding the places where storytelling is an asset. That makes the conversation about aiming skills rather than ending behaviors.

Anything you’d like to add? Please share it, and click HERE for more information about the Advocates Community of Practice.

Are you a member of an intentional community and want to join the Advocates? Sign up HERE.
Our next meeting is May 8th. We’d love to see you!

1 Like

Dem, as usually you share with us interesting real life situations and useful advices from the “Advocates Community of Practice”.

I like a lot this two statements:

1. The idea here is finding the places where storytelling is an asset.
  1. That makes the conversation about aiming skills rather than ending behaviors.

Wonderful approach. Thank you.