Is the localization of sociocracy knowledge complete without the localization of sociocracy training?

While localizing sociocracy knowledge is an essential aspect of its implementation, it is not complete without the localization of training.

Localization of training ensures that the knowledge and practices of sociocracy are effectively transferred to the local context, taking into account cultural, linguistic, and organizational factors.

Here’s why localization of training is important:

1. Cultural Adaptation:

Localizing training allows for the adaptation of sociocracy principles and practices to align with the cultural values, norms, and communication styles of the local context. It ensures that the training content is relevant and relatable to participants, increasing their understanding and engagement with sociocracy.

1. Language and Communication:

Training conducted in the local language facilitates better comprehension and participation. It minimizes language barriers and ensures that participants can fully grasp the concepts and techniques being taught. Local trainers can use familiar terminology and examples that resonate with participants, enhancing the effectiveness of the training.

1. Contextualization of Examples:

Local trainers are better positioned to provide relevant and relatable examples that illustrate the application of sociocracy in the local context. They can draw upon local case studies and experiences to demonstrate how sociocracy can address specific challenges or opportunities unique to the region. This enhances participants’ ability to apply sociocratic principles to their own situations.

1. Practical Considerations:

Local trainers have a deeper understanding of the practical considerations, legal frameworks, and institutional structures within the local context. They can help participants navigate these aspects when implementing sociocracy, ensuring compliance with local regulations and adapting the processes to fit within existing organizational frameworks.

1. Building Trust and Rapport:

Local trainers often have pre-existing relationships and familiarity with the participants, which helps in building trust and rapport. They understand the local dynamics and can create a safe and supportive learning environment that encourages open dialogue, collaboration, and active participation.

1. Ongoing Support:

Local trainers can provide ongoing support and follow-up after the training, which is crucial for the successful implementation of sociocracy. They can offer continued guidance, answer questions, and address specific challenges that arise during the transition to sociocracy. This post-training support enhances the sustainability of sociocracy practices.

By localizing both the knowledge and the training, organizations and communities can ensure a more comprehensive and effective implementation of sociocracy.

It allows for a deeper understanding, smoother adoption, and sustained application of sociocratic principles and practices within the local context.

If you would like to share your comments or personal reflections on this topic, please feel free to do so in a comment below. Thank you.

Best wishes.

Resources:

1. Start here:

2. Sociocracy – basic concepts and principles:

3. Why Sociocracy For All (SoFA)?

4. Social Justice Statement of Sociocracy For All:

5. Sociocracy For All in the news

6. Sociocracy basic resources

7. SoFA Membership - Why join Sociocracy For All?

8. Sociocracy Training

9. More sociocracy resources: articles and videos

10. SoFA events

11. Many Voices One Song – A sociocracy manual

12. Who Decides Who Decides? - How to start a group so everyone can have a voice!

13. Let’s decide together - The definitive guidebook for practicing decision-making with children

14. Meeting Evaluation Cards - This is the Meeting Evaluation Cards product by Sociocracy For All

15. Case studies

1 Like

Thank you for this article. I appreciate the clear arguments.
What is the scale of the “local” you have in mind ? Do you mean that the trainer is from the same country, the same region, the same type of organization, the same industry, or even working in the same organization (internal trainer) ?
Thomas,
member of SoFra cercle Contenu (content circle for the French-speaking audience)

2 Likes

Hello Thomas,

I’m glad the article and the topic seams to be useful.

Congratulations for being a member of SoFra Contenu (content circle for the French-speaking audience). Could you, please send my regards to Francine Proulx-Kenzle? I participate on Franch Circle Meeting at the last Global Sociocracy Conference and she also participated in my Performance Review on June 9, together with Roberto Bonino. I appreciate them a lot and I learned many things from their sociocratic behavior. I also appreciate Roberto a lot.

I was thinking that it would be useful to have at least one trainer for each country / territory. I guess this could transform gradually into a team of trainers as more trainers are needed for different regions or kinds of organizations. In this case I suppose a local trainer of trainers could be of use. The process itself will take some time and could be made according to the local needs and the available human capital.

In my understanding, spreading sociocracy in every corner of the society is not only about localization of sociocracy knowledge (books and articles) but also about providing professional training on the territories where people are eager to learn and practice sociocracy in organizations and communities.

Trainers could become active agents on promoting locally SoFA sociocracy training (on demand), helping people to understand and practice the sociocracy method and principles. There is a learning curve for any knowledge and local guidance is necessary to set things right.

Of course, those people should be certified trainers and provide professional services. SoFA has a high standard for practicing sociocracy and in certifying sociocracy practitioners, facilitators, trainers and consultants. I trust their ability to select people who are able to maintain this high standard professional approach at local levels.

If someone would like to share comments or personal reflections on this topic, please feel free to do so in a comment below. Thank you.

Best wishes!

p.s I would like to learn more about SoFra and how you developed over time. I understand French (as I learned it on my primary school and I often listen to TV5) but I didn’t exercised my French speaking. I guess I would understand at least 80-90% of what you say in your meetings … :slight_smile: Keep in touch!

1 Like