You Know You're a Sociocracy Nerd When

I’ve created a new forum game: finish the sentence.

You know you’re a sociocracy nerd when you can spell equivalence without spell check.

2 Likes

Oh how fun!

You know you’re a sociocracy nerd when you hear yourself asking people, in an informal conversation, “is that a clarifying question or a reaction?”
(Or even more extreme for every-day conversation, “is that a negative reaction or an objection?” - :smiley: )

3 Likes

You know you’re a sociocracy nerd when… you are thinking about who’s domain something is in in every organization you’re in… whether it’s sociocratic or not…

2 Likes

When…you hold sociocratic meetings with friends and family on a regular basis. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

… when you are having a discussion with family or friends and you wish we had rounds. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Seriously though @thomas.kemps - I talked to my college friends over zoom recently, and I was getting annoyed because no one really shared meaningful stuff because the “organic” way of talking was just meandering around and people interrupting each other and it was boring and a waste of time.

2 Likes

…When you create a backlog of interpersonal(or personal) conflicts you want to engage with

I’m seeing a definite trend of “…when you start wanting sociocracy to bleed over into more and more parts of your life.” I definitely feel it too!

I’ve been experimenting with tools to promote emotionally vulnerable sharing (i.e heart circles, nvc, grief circles, etc) and with the other people involved, we very intentionally organized them to not be sociocratic because we wanted it to be more of an “organic” space for people to be able to share-- and largely, we do still use rounds. And then we added sociocratic style check in and feedback/check out rounds to them. And now we’ve had a nvc practice session with very little nvc practice because we got a bit derailed due to a lack of shared reality/clarity around what we were trying to accomplish. Then we determined that we want to create an agenda based off of a backlog of conflicts we want to explore in more depth because we wanted to engage with conflict in ways that better meet our needs for effectiveness.

I don’t know whether to be terrified or rejoice that even I’m uncertain whether I’m sarcastic when I think, “I can’t wait to find a way to add performance reviews to this somehow and co-create plans for emotional growth.”

1 Like

Hahaha, what’s the opposite of mission creep? Creeping towards more intentionality…

Well, that is extreme even from my point of view. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

It’s a group I feel safe enough with to experiment with format, but I think with a different group of people I could have looked at the same proposal and decided it wasn’t safe enough to try. I’m curious whether ultimately this backlog will promote effectiveness or encourage resentment/rumination, and hopefully we’ll continue to adjust accordingly.

2 Likes