Giving Feedback and Making Requests in Sociocracy

Sociocracy is a system of governance that emphasizes decentralized decision-making and self-organization.

In Sociocracy, feedback and requests are essential elements of the decision-making process, and they are used to ensure that everyone has a say in how decisions are made.

When giving feedback in Sociocracy, it is important to follow a few guidelines to ensure that the feedback is constructive and productive. Here are some tips:

1. Use “I” statements:

When giving feedback, use “I” statements to express your feelings and perceptions. For example, instead of saying “You are always interrupting me,” say “I feel frustrated when I am interrupted.

1. Be specific:

Provide specific examples of the behavior you are giving feedback on. This will help the person understand what you are referring to and make it easier for them to change their behavior.

1. Be timely:

Provide feedback as soon as possible after the behavior occurs. This will help ensure that the person remembers the situation and can take action to address the behavior.

1. Focus on behavior, not the person:

It’s important to focus on the behavior you want to change, not the person. This will help the person feel less defensive and more open to feedback.

When making requests in Sociocracy, it’s important to be clear and specific about what you are asking for. Here are some tips:

1. Be clear:

Make sure your request is clear and specific. Avoid vague or general requests that are difficult to understand or implement.

1. Be realistic:

Make sure your request is realistic and achievable. If your request is too difficult or unrealistic, it may be ignored or dismissed.

1. Be respectful:

Make your request in a respectful and courteous manner. Avoid making demands or using aggressive language.

1. Be open to negotiation:

Be open to negotiating your request. In Sociocracy, decision-making is a collaborative process, so be prepared to work with others to find a solution that works for everyone.

By following these guidelines, someone can give feedback and make requests in a way that is respectful, clear, and effective in Sociocracy.

I recommend the following Sociocracy Manual to learn more about feedback and request in sociocracy:

Many Voices One Song is the manual for sociocracy – a comprehensive manual covering all topics relevant to sociocracy in organizations.

Quote:
We all know what deep connection feels like.
We all know what deep belonging feels like – when we enter a group and we tap into knowing deep inside that these are our people.
How can we be aligned with our need for connection wherever we go, in our workplaces, our neighborhoods, towns, clubs, faith groups, associations and our families?
We think that sociocracy can contribute to a more connected, integrated life.
Many Voices One Song by Ted Rau and Jerry Koch-Gonzalez

I invite you to remind some basic information about sociocracy by studying the sociocracy manual mention above: Many Voices One Song by Ted Rau and Jerry Koch-Gonzalez

I also invite you in our Community of Practice for Facilitators (CoP-F):

Community-of-Practice-for-Facilitators-CoP-F

Meeting time:

The meeting for this group is on the second Monday of each month for 90 minutes.

There are two different events on the same day:

CoP-F East: at 14:00 UTC
(for zones like Asia, Europe, Africa and eastern North America)

and

CoP-F West: at 18:30 UTC
(for zones like western North America, South America or Asia-Pacific).

We want to offer everybody the opportunity to choose a convenient meeting according to their/her/his time zone.

Registration page:

CoP-F event series page:

Community of Practice for Facilitators (CoP-F) discussion forum page:

Meeting Facilitation and Decision Making Sheet article:

In the Community of Practice for Facilitators (CoP-F) no one teaches anyone, but we all learn from each other by practicing and sharing real life experiences.

We welcome your presence and contribution. It will enrich all of our sociocracy knowledge.

Best wishes to all of you!