Remove people from them who are not following rules

“I have set up several households where homeless individuals can live together and be successful at overcoming addictions. I am now considering doing this for individuals who are coming out of jail. These groups have the responsibility to remove people from them who are not following rules. This power is a critical part of their dynamic and I am confused about how it would be accommodated in sociocracy.”

1 Like

Hey there!
in my view, it really depends how the organization is set up. A sociocratic organization can write its own rules of how to remove people. Yet, there are two (in your case even 3) levels to it:

• Removing someone from a circle is described here
  • Removing someone from the entire organization. That can follow similar rules but needs to spelled out as such.
  • Banning someone from being in a space/receiving services. Again, the organization needs to describe its own rules around that.

All 3 levels are essential for any organization; without it, successful organizing is hard to impossible - as you’re saying.

1 Like

I know that you were asking about sociocratic group process but I just want to mention that based on some research I did with the John Howard Society many years ago, the first problem you may face is strong resistance from the neighbourhood and the town or city. You may have already encountered this with households for the homeless but if not, be prepared and know your zoning rules.

1 Like